 Technic / 14969
Re: Vehicle with square wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:05:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Jordan Bradford wrote:
Fantastic work. I hadn't even started my attempt. I like your using the
battery box as the weight -- it's very simple and compact.

I noticed from the video that it tends to veer left. Are the wheels losing
traction when they're fully flat?

I think the veer left comes from gear backlash. Front and rear wheels are not
maintained strictly 22.5° apart and the way it works, this introduces left/right
dissymetry. My first attempt used 3 z24 gears with less backlash but of couse I
could only offset front and rear by 15° or 30° and it didn't work.

Philo

I built one similar to yours last night (I put gears on both sides as an
experiment). You're correct that it's the gear backlash that causes the wheels
to not quite turn at the same time. Pushing the wheels down manually with your
finger is a good way to watch it happen because the process is slower.