 Technic / 10919
Re: Pre-1990 friction pegs removal techniques?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:10:50 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gaurav Thakur wrote:
I also tried this slight variant on the standard axle method and it is indeed
somewhat easier on your hands, but it seems to still smash up the friction peg
with a noticeable axle-shaped dent. Actually, this is sometimes okay since a
dent on that side does not really impair the function of the peg, but after
doing it a couple of times in the same location it ends up looking pretty
ugly.

     I must confess that I was a bit mixed up on the original question, as I
don't believe I own any of the old pins without the slot through the center.  I
thought you were referring to the old #2 plus-rods.  Anyways, how about trying a
1x? TECHNIC brick (I suggest a brick over a beam/liftarm, as the brick will have
more flat surface for you to push against) with a light-grey stud-pin?  Use the
stud end to push against the old TECHNIC pin, which shouldn't cause any
noticable deformation of either pin (the stud end will push against the entire
split end of the old pin, which will likewise contact nearly all of the stud
end).  Once you've got it started, you can flip the stud-pin around so the stud
is mounted in the TECHNIC brick and use the pin end to push the old pin the rest
of the way out (try to keep the slots aligned with each other to maximize
contact surface), since the largest amount of resistance should occur while the
lipped tip of the pin is still locked into the counterbore of the TECHNIC hole.