 Technic / 10906
Subject:
Pre-1990 friction pegs removal techniques?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 03:12:04 GMT

As most of you know, the black friction pegs included in Technic sets issued
before 1990 had a design that made them extremely hard to work with. I was
wondering how the rest of you go about removing these things from other other
pieces. The method I have been using to do this is the one given on the back of
some of the older Technic manuals, to push it out of the hole with an axle.
However, this requires so much force that it ends up deforming the peg itself;
the side that the axle pushed on gets considerably smashed, and occasionally
even the edges of the hole on the brick get slightly dented.

I was recently dissassembling a built 8865 to use the pieces for one my other
things; it took almost twice as long as most other models of comparable size and
I finished with a broken fingernail and several blisters. :p I had one or two
cases where even the above method would not work; I couldn't get the blasted
things out no matter how much force I exerted onto the axle and only ended up
completely warping the peg.

Does anyone have a better solution for taking these pegs out, one that does not
deform the peg (or your hands) so much?

-Gaurav

Re: Pre-1990 friction pegs removal techniques?