 Robotics / NXT / 83
Re: NXT Robot Swarm at BrickFest -- featuring Bluetooth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:05:46 GMT

In article <J3y0B4.FM0@lugnet.com>, Brian Davis <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Dick Swan wrote:

Here's an idea of how to get more than 3 NXTs connected
via Bluetooth (BT). It involves using a PC as a "relay
point".

  My problems with this solution are two-fold. First, NXT-G currently can't
send anything back to the PC, as it's not running anything to get the NXT-G
message structure (yes, folks could write this... almost certainly will. But
likely not me).

I shall have PC software to do this, and probably others will have
similar tools before I finish.

And this may allow much more than 7 connections,

I believe 7 is the number of connections specified in the Bluetooth
standard, for each radio.

because while
NXT-G doesn't allow you to set up a BT connection under SW control, I'll bet a
well-programmed computer certainly could.

I am not sure what your definition of "set up of a bt connection"
covers.

Pairing generally requires user input, for the password.

Connecting to a previously paired device under software control should
be possible.  One wrinkle will be on the receiving device, and ensuring
the 'allow "NXT 1" to connect?' query will be handled.

Paired device should be identified by their MAC address, rather than by
their friendly name.  I guess these are stored in a file.

The second problem is I admit just a
bias of mine - I want my control On The NXT, not off the brick. Autonomy is in
some senses a pretty silly, artificial constraint anyway (hey, I program the
NXT
with a laptop, right?)... but so is working with LEGO and not sheet metal.

  What I do *not* know as yet is if the three connection limit, and the
inability to set up BT connections under on-the-NXT SW control, is due to the
SW

Making a connection should be possible, at least with a previously
paired device.

(NXT-G doesn't have the ability), or the FW (the LEGO FW can't command those
modes), or due to the BlueCore FW itself (i.e., we're stuck with it due to the
chipset on the NXT). Anyone know?

If I am reading the datasheet correctly the Bluetooth chipset supports 7
concurrent connections, but only 3 if they are high speed connections.
Perhaps due to RAM space for buffers, more probably the CPU has to do
more work for each connection.
Reference the datasheet here:
        http://www.csr.com/products/bc4ext_over.htm

Constraints I have noticed in the Lego NXT development kit
documentation:

1. The master NXT can only communicate with one of the slave units
   during a given moment, meaning that if the master NXT is
   communicating with NXT Slave 1 and NXT Slave 3 starts sending data to
   the master NXT , the master NXT will not evaluate the received data
   until it switches to NXT slave 3.
   An NXT is not able to function as both a master and slave device at
   the same time because this could cause lost data between NXT devices.
   p12, Lego Mindstorms NXT Hardware Development Kit

2. p13 explains that the Bluecore chip VM runs a different profile for
   Master and Slave modes.

3. Appendix 8-LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT ARM7 Bluetooth Interface
specification.pdf has some potentially helpful info too.

Regards,
Tony
--
  "If you don't know, invent." - Robert Baden-Powell