 Robotics / NXT / 76
Re: NXT Robot Swarm at BrickFest -- featuring Bluetooth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 02:46:02 GMT

On Fri, August 11, 2006 7:17 pm, Tony Buser wrote:
On 8/11/06, Brian Davis <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote:
   The problem (I think; somebody want to prove me wrong?) is that the "master"
NXT can send messages to at most three "slave" NXTs, but the "slaves" can not
then act as BT masters to still more units. In other words, it seems very very

On the NXT screen under bluetooth connections, it showed my
laptop on both Connection 0 and Connection 1.

I haven't tried to actually communicate on both connections at the
same time yet and I only have one NXT so perhaps it wouldn't work
between NXTs, but it seems to be possible for the NXT to act as both a
master and slave when connecting to other bluetooth devices... I'll
experiment with it some more this weekend.

I played around with this a little bit, trying to confirm what I've been told.  It
is possible to have an NXT connect as either a master or a slave, but not both at
the same time.  I'm sure this is true.

Here's what I did: I took three NXTs with the latest firmware.
(A) Master to B
(B) Slave to A and Master to C
(C) Slave to B

When you connect two NXTs, the < in the top left corner becomes a diamond (like <>).
Connecting A to B, both show they are connected.
Then, connecting B to C, A no longer shows that it's connected.
Then, connecting A to B, all three show they are connected, and B shows (from the
connections screen) that it's connected to both A and C.

However, when I ran a program to send messages from A to B, and B to C, the message
did not go from A to B.  And, looking at the Connections on B, it only shows the
connection to C.

Bottom line: An NXT can be either a master or a slave, but not both, at the same time.

Steve