 Robotics / NXT / 70
Re: NXT Robot Swarm at BrickFest -- featuring Bluetooth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:26:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Stefan Gustavson wrote:

   The spec says that at most three other Bluetooth units may be connected to each NXT unit for any given program, but with proper setup one unit could act as a message-passing server...

The problem (I think; somebody want to prove me wrong?) is that the “master” NXT can send messages to at most three “slave” NXTs, but the “slaves” can not then act as BT masters to still more units. In other words, it seems very very easy to link four NXT together via BT, but very difficult to extend this using single NXT units. You could dynamicly switch the BT net around if a NXT-G program could set up new BT connections on its own, but this is a functionality that you do from the menu system. I’m certain there’s a way to do it - but I’ve not found it yet in NXT-G. Then again, most of us don’t have 4+ NXT units to play with (OK, almost none of us), so it may be interesting to see what gets learned at BrickFest.

-- Brian Davis