 Robotics / NXT / 278
Re: NXT Firmware source code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:26:57 GMT

"Steve Lane yahoo.co.uk>" <stevenrobertlane@<nospamplease> wrote in
message news:JABnK0.15z@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Chris Phillips wrote:

Still, writing any type of file onto the NXT will eventually wear
out the flash
memory and lead to failure.  If you were to download 30 programs
onto your NXT
every day, it would start to have problems after about a year,
assuming that
these specs are correct.  Running a data-logging application
continuously on
your NXT could burn it out even faster.

Fortunately the most common failure mode is a reduction in the
"longevity" of storage. Out of box, the Atmel ARM flash is specified
to retain contents for 40 years. I think most of us could accept an
order or two of magnitude less on this paramter.

There are also two different specs that we're dealing with here. One
is the number of times that complete flash can be rewritten (i.e.
downloading complete firmware and the other is the number of times
that an individual sector can be written (i.e. writing a user program
to flash). I believe the conservative specs for these are 100 and
10,000 respectively.