 Robotics / NXT / 265
Re: NXT Firmware source code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:38:09 GMT

> This is very good news.  Thanks for the update.
  I've been waiting for this for
> a long time, particularly to have a look at the
rather weak graphics
> capabilities.  I've had an expanded font (and a
much smaller one) kicking around
> for a while now.

Jason, can you share these fonts at all. I am
making good progress on integrating LCD support
into my replacement firmware but I only have one
6x8 font set, and it's not complete. I need the
font to be in the vertical byte format that
the NXT display uses.

> Is it viable to repeatedly download test
versions to the NXT firmware though?
> Wasn't there an issue with the number of times
you could download?

According to the worst case spec sheet, yes. Under
normal temperature and voltage conditions, like
in my office, it's a much bigger number.

I've reflashed my firmware hundreds of times
with no obvious side-effects.

> Does anyone have any plans to develop a system
whereby machine code applications
> can be run on the operating system?  That would
give more scope to develop more
> advanced applications, as then one could develop
libraries to do new things
> rather than firmware hacks.

Yes. I have a complete GCC build system, with
a line oriented interface to GDB through the
USB port.

> Is there a forum I'm not aware of where this can
be progressed?  I suppose I'm
> getting ahead of myself if no-one's done a
successful build and download yet
> though...

I would really, really like this newsgroup to be
that one point of entry for this kind of
discussion.

It does a couple of things including:

1. Keeps focus in one place
2. Allows web or email information transfer
3. Is searchable
4. Keeps people coming back to Lugnet

Question for Lugnet admins...does this fit
in with your plans, and can I have an offline
discussion with you regarding this.

I was a very early member of Lugnet, and I am
still having trouble with passwords and account
management so that I can post via the web ionterface
when I'm on the road.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel