 Robotics / NXT / 264
Re: NXT Firmware source code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:29:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Steve Lane wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Chris Phillips wrote:

Still, writing any type of file onto the NXT will eventually wear out the flash
memory and lead to failure.  If you were to download 30 programs onto your NXT
every day, it would start to have problems after about a year, assuming that
these specs are correct.  Running a data-logging application continuously on
your NXT could burn it out even faster.

If this limitation had applied to the rcx, I'd have suggested this. Because you
can control the outputs and read the inputs direct from a pc you could run an
emulation of the rcx firmware running your program on the pc. The rcx would then
behave in the same way as if you had downloaded the program onto it. You would
have course have the transmission delay caused by the IR link. But whether that
was a problem would depend on your application. I suspect the same could be
applied to the NXT.

Now that's a cool idea.  I've been messing around with remote-controlling the
NXT via Bluetooth from a PC application, and it seems pretty solid.  You'd
definitely have some timing issues running a remote emulation like you describe,
but this could still have some really interesting applications.  It would be
pretty cool to have a program on the PC that could read in the .RXE file,
emulate the runtime, and pull the puppet strings remotely.

The worst aspect of this is that any command that requires a response, like
reading a sensor value, forces the Bluetooth to "turn around" which (according
to the docs) incurs a 60ms penalty.  I think the timing is a good deal less
problematic when operating over a USB link.

Hmmm...