 Robotics / NXT / 272
Re: NXT Firmware source code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:53:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Ralph Hempel wrote:
This is very good news.  Thanks for the update. I've been waiting for this for
a long time, particularly to have a look at the rather weak graphics
capabilities.  I've had an expanded font (and a much smaller one) kicking around
for a while now.

Jason, can you share these fonts at all. I am
making good progress on integrating LCD support
into my replacement firmware but I only have one
6x8 font set, and it's not complete. I need the
font to be in the vertical byte format that
the NXT display uses.

Ralph - I'll send them to you.  If you want, mail me the byte format and I'll
see if I can run a conversion.  I presume it's in the vertical byte format that
the screen uses?  I did a full 256 character set that includes upper case, lower
case, punctuation, Latin-9 European accented characters in #160-#255, icons in
the lower 32 characters (arrows where the cursor control codes are, musical note
for the old 'ping' code, etc.) and most of the Greek upper, lower and accented
characters in the #128-#159 undefined area.

Do you have the complete datasheet I uncovered earlier which has the LCD
controller instruction codes?

I know the NXT buffers a bitmapped screen and regularly transfers the data to
the LCD controller.  What I though was with a 6x8 font you could write
characters directly to the LCD controller and so free up the RAM.

I also have a smaller 4x6 font that's still quite readable.  It could work as a
terminal display, though you'd need to store at least a byte per character
representation of the screen in RAM.  From that you could replace one character
at a time directly on the screen, or maybe even generate the screen display
on-the-fly.

This would require it to handle different graphics modes, but once started this
could be expanded.  A lot of the fonts are based on my SNOT lettering alphabets,
but expanded.

I was hoping to work on some far more advanced graphics functions, but obviously
that would need to build on someone who's already hacked the firmware.  I don't
want to discuss them just yet until I've sounded out the feasibility with
someone who's got an idea of what's involved with re-writing the firmware.

Jason R