 Robotics / NXT / 1132
Re: My Lego Flexpicker Video on YouTube
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 00:39:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Eric Sophie wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Chris Shepherd wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Chris Shepherd wrote:
Hello,

I have posted a video of a working Flexpicker built out of Lego.  It uses 4 NXT
bricks.  If you get a chance, please check it out.

I hope you enjoy.  Show the love with 5 stars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoXCn4Gh_HA

Chris

I just go an invitation to display this robot at the ABB Technology Days in
Auburn, MI in April.  How cool is that!

Chris

Congrats! That is great! How did they learn about your Robot? Did they see it on
Youtube? This is a great opportunity!

I bet people will be very very very interested in your robot! Likewise, I am
sure it will be equally facinating for you to see the other industry robots!
AWESOME!

This is not on only extremely cool, but also very important in terms of showing
people the possibilities of what Lego can do. You will be our ambassador!

Please tell us all about it and take plenty of photos!

Again, great opportunity! Good luck!
I love it when a good MOC pays off in unexpected ways like this. Giving the
chance to show your ideas to others.

So will the transport and set up be ok?
First time bringing it anywhere?

Eric

They found out about it because I ruthlessly, shamelessly sent emails and posts
to everywhere I could find, including ABB and some of their partner companies.
I had no intentions except saying "Hey, look at this."  They did, and they liked
it.

I was contacted by the VP of marketing by email the next day.  He is going to
call me this week to set up the visit.  He said that the company loves the MOC.
They "favorited" it on YouTube.  He also asked me to write something up for the
ABB newsletter, which I did.  You are correct about the ambassador thing, I have
introduced a lot of Lego engineers to the Flexpicker, and now I get to introduce
Lego robotics to the industrial robotics crowd.  It's a pretty cool honor.

I also think that this is a tremendous opportunity because I am a Mech. Eng. who
would love to get into the robotics industry, I just haven't found my way yet.
Yes, I will have some crisp resumes ready.

One of the days that I will be displaying will be Bring Your Kid to Work day,
and many of the ABB employees will will get to see it with their kids.  I can't
wait to see some of the kids faces.

I really hope that a few others take on this project, because it was a great
learning opportunity.  It was a robot that had to be rebuilt several times to
work out bugs.  Now it is one of the most stable, repeatable robots I have ever
built.

Transporting it will be another story.  It is built so the frame all locks
together and won't come apart.  I have ordered about $150 of new parts to match
colors, make it even better, etc.  Finally, I can justify spending big bucks on
Lego and my wife won't argue with me about it!  :)  "But honey, I have to, it
won't work without it!!"

Chris

PS.  Check out how the Aussie's describe me.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/02/guy_builds_his_own_abb_flexpicker_robot_out_of_lego.html#comments
My friends now call me a "special breed of geek"