 Robotics / 26535
Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 19:39:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:

I suspect that the firmware sourcecode will be released very soon.  Once it is I
think that non-open source solutions will quickly fade into obscurity.

Not sure I agree with that sentiment - I think there will always be a place
closed-source programming environments, as long as they provide quality
solutions with useful features, and good support.

Before long there simply won't be a reason to pay for an alternate firmware and
a second-rate development environment.

That's why I qualified it by saying "as long as they provide quality solutions
with useful features, and good support". Yes, RobotC has a way to go before it
gets to the commercially acceptable stage, but that doesn't mean it won't.

And there's also no reason to suppose that an open-source solution couldn't be
commercially viable either - Linux is a great open source operating system, but
many companies now make good money selling and supporting their particular
distributions and tools.

ROSCO