 Robotics / 26522
  NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

Hi, Thinking of getting the NXT kit, just wanted to know what programming languages / sdks are out there. I looked on the Lejos site, and it seems like they were thinking about porting for NXT but it seems to have gone quiet recently. Ideally I'd (...) (18 years ago, 1-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

There are currently two alternative programming solutions for the NXT. NBC is a assembly language programming solution that is incorporated as part of the BricxCC development environment. It is open source. It uses the standard NXT firmware. See (...) (18 years ago, 1-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

Thanks for the info. So if I want to program in Java, am I better off getting one of the RCX models and using something like Lejos? I'd be interested in what people think of the NXT / RCX comparison... Or I could try C but its been a while :-) (...) (18 years ago, 1-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

(...) currently available alternative on-brick programming solution. It could also be argued that NBC is the most highly preferred solution because it is available for Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows platforms. It is the only NXT on-brick programming (...) (18 years ago, 1-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

(...) Not sure I agree with that sentiment - I think there will always be a place closed-source programming environments, as long as they provide quality solutions with useful features, and good support. Having said that, I'd love to see an (...) (18 years ago, 1-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

In article <7122549.post@talk.nabble.com>, Nick77 <lego- robotics@crynwr.com> writes (...) I have not looked at Lejos yet, (shame on me), but Brian Bagnall seems particularly active with this. There are new releases about once a month, with (...) (18 years ago, 1-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

(...) Ross, I demonstrated a gcc toolchain at Brickfest this year, with a GDB stub running on the NXT and using GDB on a host PC through the USB cable. I was able to do a download and single step of a program to toggle the speaker port and generate (...) (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

Thanks for info and all replies - looks like there are a few options, and stuff in the pipeline! Now I get to spend my hard earned cash! Cheers Nick (...) (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

Nick, Sorry for being late, but before you spend your money it might be useful to have a look at the list of available programming environments for the NXT listed at (URL) should be pretty complete and I tried most of them with a real task for a (...) (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

(...) I am not wishing that they fade into obscurity. I just will be extremely surprised if they don't. Already a single not very bright individual with no monetary funds, working in his spare time has produced an open source IDE that is 10-times (...) (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Open source?

(...) Who cares? Years ago, we saw many IDEs for the RCX come and go. I suspect for most people, it was a chance to play with programming and LEGO at the same time. A challenge to one's self to see if it "can be done". I doubt any of these were (...) (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

Ross, Have you been able to reproduce this under Cygwin? I tried about six months ago but kept hitting some errors in building the toolchain. I used a variety of build scripts, even trying to reproduce the GNU ARM toolchain but with very similar (...) (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Open source?

(...) ROTFLOL! John Hansen (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

(...) That's why I qualified it by saying "as long as they provide quality solutions with useful features, and good support". Yes, RobotC has a way to go before it gets to the commercially acceptable stage, but that doesn't mean it won't. And (...) (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

(...) Hi Nick, You can control the NXT over Bluetooth using Java with iCommand: www.lejos.org We are working on a full blown JVM for replacement firmware on the NXT. - Brian (18 years ago, 2-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

This is in reply to the post by John Hansen on Wednesday, November 01. It's difficult to compare the end user value of an assembler language programming environment (NBC) vs a high level C programming language like Robot C. There are several (...) (18 years ago, 6-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?

A few corrections/updates to my original post atnews:000501c701ed$...desktop... I was wrong in stating BricxCC does not support reading of all three NXT motor encoders. My comment was based on the BRicxCC "Wathcing the brick window; this is a legacy (...) (18 years ago, 10-Nov-06, to lugnet.robotics)