 Robotics / 26524
RE: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:40:42 GMT

Thanks for the info. So if I want to program in Java, am I better off getting
one of the RCX models and using something like Lejos? I'd be interested in
what people think of the NXT / RCX comparison...
Or I could try C but its been a while :-)
Cheers

Nick

Dick Swan wrote:

There are currently two alternative programming solutions for the NXT.

NBC is a assembly language programming solution that is incorporated as
part of the BricxCC development environment. It is open source. It uses
the standard NXT firmware. See http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/

RobotC is a C programming solution available from Carnegie-Mellon
University's Robotics Academy. It is a commercial program but can be
downloaded and used for a 30-day evaluation period. It uses an alternate
NXT firmware that is performance optimized for the C environment. See
http://www-education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/robotc/

I'm not the right person to comment on which is best. As a co-developer
of RobotC, I might be accused of bias.

There's also a set of "Development Kits" available for download from the
Lego site. Currently these are principally of use in writing PC based
programs that communicate and control the NXT over the Bluetooth or USB
link. There any many different "solutions" that have emerged using these
DKs. You can find more on these by scanning the forums at nxtasy.org.

At present, Lego has not released open source firmware for the NXT. They
have announced their intent to do so.