 Robotics / 26528
Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 00:43:11 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

Having said that, I'd love to see an open-source firmware/environment similar to
BrickOS for NXT, using the gcc toolchain.

Ross, I demonstrated a gcc toolchain at Brickfest this year, with
a GDB stub running on the NXT and using GDB on a host PC through the
USB cable.

I was able to do a download and single step of a program to toggle
the speaker port and generate sound on the NXT speaker by flipping
bits on an output port "manually"

Once we have access to the firmware source, you'll see a version
of this available freely in a more user friendly package, with
a run-time library of routines to drive the NXT peripherals.

Oh, and I also demonstrated my port of the Lua scripting language
running natively on the NXT, parsing a simple program that initialized
some array values and sorting them - very quickly.

So yes, there will be open source text based scripting languages
available for the NXT shortly, and I'd say Christmas would be
a fun time this year, like the first Mindstorms Christmas...

Cheers, Ralph