 Robotics / 26525
Re: NXT What Programming Languages + Open source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:59:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

There are currently two alternative programming solutions for the NXT.

NBC is a assembly language programming solution that is incorporated as
part of the BricxCC development environment. It is open source. It uses
the standard NXT firmware. See http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/

In terms of Open Source, it should be noted that NBC/BricxCC is the only
currently available alternative on-brick programming solution.  It could also be
argued that NBC is the most highly preferred solution because it is available
for Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows platforms.  It is the only NXT on-brick
programming solution available for Linux at the present time.  It's the only
text-based NXT on-brick programming solution for the Mac.  NQC (for all
platforms) is also on its way soon.  Admittedly, I'm slightly biased since I am
the lone developer of BricxCC, NBC, NQC (since Dave Baum gave me the job a while
back), and a slew of other NXT-related cross-platform utilities.

At present, Lego has not released open source firmware for the NXT. They
have announced their intent to do so.

I suspect that the firmware sourcecode will be released very soon.  Once it is I
think that non-open source solutions will quickly fade into obscurity.

John Hansen