 Robotics / 26195
Re: NXT newsgroup needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:43:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Suzanne Rich wrote:
If we do decide to add the group, I'd only be concerned about the non-inclusion
of the large quantity of info that's been shared thus far. Because, I'd hate to
see redundant querries from newcomers. Plus, the NXT group sort of has it's own
history already. ...What if we made an early post to the new group with a list
of links to the prior discussions? (we'd need a volunteer to assemble one.) Is
it even a legitimate concern? Would there be a better way of acomplishing
something like that (other than re-posting)? Reposting can be tough, as I
understand it, and makes a mailbox-burden for e-mail subscribers.

Suz, I wouldn't worry too much about this - once NXT becomes widely available, a
separate group will more than have its justification. You'll always find
newcomer questions in such groups, as happens on all forums or lists, and the
well-established search feature of LUGNET as well as the increasing quality of
search engine indexing of the news will help to keep these requests on a
reasonable level.

As someone loosely interested in Mindstorms (owning quite a few sets and waiting
to order an NXT later this year) I favor a separate group as NXT is different
from previous robotics sets in a great many ways. RCX aficionados certainly will
not want to discuss NXT details when they are not considering an upgrade /
switch, while at the same time NXT problems won't be helped if they go under in
the number of RCX-related posts in a general group. As for issues relating to
more than one architecture, cross-posting is a valid and well-established way to
handle this within LUGNET.

So I certainly vote yes for an NXT group plus related pages if anyone is willing
and able to contribute there.

Jerry