 Robotics / 25937
Re: NXT newsgroup needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 14:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Suzanne Rich wrote:

I'm holding off on creating a new group for a few reasons. One is: when more
information comes to light about the NXT, it may become apparent that 'RCX' is a
good place for discussion of it.

As I've been one of the lucky few who have had the opportunity to play with the
NXT as part of the MDP, I can tell you that these two are vastly different
beasts.  I've found the hardware, software, even building techniques to be
significantly different using the NXT vs. my trusty RCXs.  Yes, there is some
overlap, but I think there is going to be a lot of NXT only discussions,
especially software related.  This is the concern I think others have been
alluding to.  I like the idea of separate groups not because I can filter out
either set of discussions (RCX vs. NXT) but I can look at each one individually
without the chance of missing an important message in either.

This leads me to the NeXT point.  Others have pointed to the number of NXT
related posts already.  YOU HAVEN"T SEEN ANYTHING YET!  If my experience in the
MDP has taught me anything, it is that there will be LOTS of discussion.

If the consensus remains that NXT hardware is significantly different than any
other, and it's discussion is offensive to the other robotics sub-groups, then I
will surely create a new group, and I'll do it soon. I believe this is likely.

Personally I don't think "offensive" is the correct term, but what I would hate
to see is people who post here looking for help with an RCX related issue only
to have their question lost in the sea of NXT posts (especially new visitors, as
this may turn them off to LUGNET).  In my mind, it is simply a # of posts and
convenience issue.

my $.02 for what it's worth

John