 Robotics / 26194
Re: New user questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 19:10:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tom Stiles hamrad45@hotmail.com wrote:

   I am stuggling with the programming as the documentation seems to be lacking for a new user.

One important source is the “block help” in the lower right corner of the environment. Select a block you have questions about, and make sure the “?” tab is selected, and a very short help text will show up there. Click on “more help” and a whole new world of in-editor help is revealed (you can also get to this from the menus, Help->Contents and Index).

   I could some expert advise.

There is none - we’re *all* new at this, but some of us have been new at it slightly longer ;-). *Nobody* is an expert yet, so if you discover something, let us know.

   Using the Ultrasonic sensor, detect motion and then randomly play a sound file (one of several I have setup). Continue to monitor with this sensor and detect motion again and play a different random file.

Drop an loop onto the programming sheet. Within the loop, make the first block a Wait for the US sensor to be less than, oh, say 100 cm. Now generate a random number (from the Complete pallet), followed by a multi-case Switch structure (drop a Switch after the Random block, and then in the Switch configuration panel set control to variable, type to number, uncheck the display option “flat view” so it drops into a tabbed view. Now click on the “+” button in the upper right corner of the configuration panel to add a few more options). In each of these Switch tabs, drop a Sound block that plays a different sound file, and finally set the Random block to generate a number from, say, 0 to 3 and wire this number into the Switch:

-- Brian Davis