 Robotics / 22850
Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:11:21 GMT

On Thursday 16 September 2004 03:13, Rob Syvertsen wrote:

Not nearly impossible.  It just requires a little more intelligence be
put into the power supply.

Sure it can be done, but it is very uncommon. I seriously doubt that any
wall-wart (even very good ones) do it. I have a very high quality
wall-wart. It puts out 2A at 3 to 24V, is very stable at the whole range
from very little to full load and even on sharp load changes. But at no
load the voltage is still about 15% above the rated voltage.

All the regulated power supplies my company
produces contain a circuit called a down programmer.  This circuits job
is to discharge the filter capacitors and maintain the rated voltage
under no-load conditions.  It's essentially a fet or transistor run as
a load across the output,

I guess those are special purpose power supplies that for some reason need
this feature, aren't they? Also they will draw a lot more current at no
load than a power supply without this down programmer.

The thing is that in almost all cases the higher voltage without load is
simply no problem. It is a good idea to connect the PS to your gadget
before plugging it in anyways, so it will have a load from the very
beginning.

Ulrich
--
PGP key ID: 0xDF6FC4FA

"A mouse is a device used to select the xterm you want to type in."
Author unknown