 Robotics / 22845
Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:13:36 GMT

Ulrich Schweitzer wrote:

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 19:20, Jon Gilchrist wrote:

I tested every
ps I could find in my house (probably 20 or more) and *none* of them
put out the stated voltage.  A typical 9v was putting out somewhere
between 12 and 15.

It is nearly impossible to build a power supply that puts out the rated
voltage when there is no load.

Not nearly impossible.  It just requires a little more intelligence be
put into the power supply.  All the regulated power supplies my company
produces contain a circuit called a down programmer.  This circuits job
is to discharge the filter capacitors and maintain the rated voltage
under no-load conditions.  It's essentially a fet or transistor run as a
load across the output, but to the user, the output of our supplies is
very, very stable.  I'm pretty sure that if you found a good quality
wall wart (oxymoron?  Is there such a beast?) it would contain a similar
circuit.  Otherwise, just cheat and use a power resistor selected to
draw about 10% of the power supplies rated current.  This should provide
decent load regulation at the expense of efficiency.

Rob

Most will put out too high a voltage (like
you have seen), some just shut down.
To meassure the voltage of a PS, shorten it with a 1000 Ohm resistor or
something like that and meassure the voltage at the resistor.

Ulrich