 Robotics / 22844
Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:41:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   For trainheads interested in using this with LDCC: As an experiment, by temporarily shorting one or two of the diodes (on the 12V path) with a small piece of wire, you can get a higher track voltage. I felt safe trying this out because the nominal voltage rating for the RCX H-bridges is 12V (max is 16V), other analog components should be able to handle an extra volt or two, and the CPU and RAM are supplied by a 5V regulator. Anyways, with the higher track voltage the locomotives were much zippier, however, I’ve only tested this for a little while so proceed with caution if you’d like to try this out yourself.

Indeed, the input capacitor of the RCX is rated 10V, so I would not do that for a too long time. This 1000µF capacitor, used to keep memory during battery exchange, is directly connected to RCX board supply input.

Thanks for pointing that out, Philo. I think I’ll stick to the non-hopped up version! :-)

   By the way, this capacitor is also great to zap the input fuse of the RCX (a 1.5A fast blow SMD fuse): if you power the RCX then accidentally make a dead short across power terminals, it will discharge through the fuse and blow it...

Hopefully you didn’t find this out the hard way...

Mark