 Robotics / 22840
Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:31:56 GMT

Jon Gilchrist wrote:

"Mark Riley" <markril@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I've posted some photos on Brickshelf of an external power supply for the
RCX 2.

On a marginally related note, does someone out there have the
equipment to accurately test the output voltage of some typical dc
power supplies like the one used for this external ps?  I tested every
ps I could find in my house (probably 20 or more) and *none* of them
put out the stated voltage.  A typical 9v was putting out somewhere
between 12 and 15.  This seemed to be a typical overvoltage percentage
(~50%).  If someone else could check a few, it might provide some
useful information (I may not have a clue when testing).

If someone could test a genuine LEGO PS, that would be *really*
useful.

Thanks.

-Jon Gilchrist

You need to check the voltage while the PS is under load. Pretty much every
power supply puts out more when the load is low or nothing. Has to do with
loads of factors, but mostly quality of the PS (and (thus) internal
resistance of the PS) Just have it run a motor or several lights and then
measure the voltage again, should be a lot more within spec.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit