 Robotics / 22836
    RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Mark Riley
   I've crossposted to .trains because this will be useful for those wanting to run LDCC with an RCX 2. Hi All, I've posted some photos on Brickshelf of an external power supply for the RCX 2. The nice part about the design is that program memory is (...) (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Jon Gilchrist
     (...) On a marginally related note, does someone out there have the equipment to accurately test the output voltage of some typical dc power supplies like the one used for this external ps? I tested every ps I could find in my house (probably 20 or (...) (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

         Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Jan-Albert van Ree
      (...) You need to check the voltage while the PS is under load. Pretty much every power supply puts out more when the load is low or nothing. Has to do with loads of factors, but mostly quality of the PS (and (thus) internal resistance of the PS) (...) (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

         Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Ulrich Schweitzer
     (...) It is nearly impossible to build a power supply that puts out the rated voltage when there is no load. Most will put out too high a voltage (like you have seen), some just shut down. To meassure the voltage of a PS, shorten it with a 1000 Ohm (...) (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

         Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Rob Syvertsen
     (...) Not nearly impossible. It just requires a little more intelligence be put into the power supply. All the regulated power supplies my company produces contain a circuit called a down programmer. This circuits job is to discharge the filter (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

         Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Ulrich Schweitzer
     (...) Sure it can be done, but it is very uncommon. I seriously doubt that any wall-wart (even very good ones) do it. I have a very high quality wall-wart. It puts out 2A at 3 to 24V, is very stable at the whole range from very little to full load (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

        Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) Indeed, the input capacitor of the RCX is rated 10V, so I would not do that for a too long time. This 1000µF capacitor, used to keep memory during battery exchange, is directly connected to RCX board supply input. By the way, this capacitor is (...) (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Mark Riley
     (...) Thanks for pointing that out, Philo. I think I'll stick to the non-hopped up version! :-) (...) Hopefully you didn't find this out the hard way... Mark (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: RCX 2.0 Power Supply —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) A friend did the mistake for me... but I had to repair a few of his RCXs! The connector he used to plug an external supply was prone to be shorted (on RCX side) when he unplugged it. It was only several fuses later that we understood the (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, FTX)

        RCX Power Booster —Mark Bellis
   (...) On a closely related topic, here's a circuit diagram for an RCX output booster. Put one of these on each RCX output that you want to use to drive a train or a more powerful motor (RCC motor?) (URL) The circuit will control a higher power (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, FTX)