 Robotics / 22800
22799  |  22801
Subject:
Smart Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 00:59:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

After reading Dave Koudys’ conversation with fellow RTL’ers about installing a DCC decoder directly into a Technic motor, I became inspired to actually build such a beast:

If you click on the above image and look closely, you can see the DCC decoder sandwiched between the electrical plate on top and the motor element below. As you can see, it’s pretty tight in there. I used a Z-scale decoder (the Digitrax DZ123) as it’s one of the smallest decoders available, but it still required me to trim the underside of the black electrical pad and the red insulation material that encases the decoder to get everything to fit properly.

Here’s a view of the electrical components soldered together before installation:

So, why is it a smart motor? Well, the idea is that you can wire many of these motors in parallel to a single RCX output and still individually control each of the motors(1):

Power and control information are passed along the two conductors of a standard Lego electrical wire to each of the motors connected to the RCX output. Control information is sent by rapidly switching the polarity of the power on the RCX output in a specific timing sequence as defined by the DCC protocol. In addition, each smart motor has its own unique address. The DCC decoder in each motor listens to the control information being sent until its address is encountered in a command packet. It then executes the command. Each motor can then be individually set to foward/reverse (126 different speeds) or stopped.

My recent post on this subject contains some tidbits on the programming interface for BrickOS. Some additional construction photos can be found in my Brickshelf folder.

In any case, I’m rather excited by this approach as it still feels very Lego-like in its simplicity (i.e. simple 2-wire hookup). And, it’s not too expensive - less than $35US per smart motor.

Mark

(1) That photo is actually a “dramatization” as I’ve only built one of these smart motors so far - the others are stand-ins for the real thing... :-) However, I’ve tested it in parallel with my DCC brick and everything works peachy!