 Robotics / 22812
Re: Smart Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:08:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Mark Riley wrote:
   After reading Dave Koudys’ conversation with fellow RTL’ers about installing a DCC decoder directly into a Technic motor, I became inspired to actually build such a beast:

So, why is it a smart motor? Well, the idea is that you can wire many of these motors in parallel to a single RCX output and still individually control each of the motors

Well, you rock! That’s exceedingly cool. Please build more! Indeed, you might consider building a largish batch of them -- if you set yourself up assembly-line style, you could probably knock off a couple dozen of them in a few evenings and sell them for $40 apiece (or more).

I imagine you could bang them out fairly quickly once you’ve done a few. But, when I mentioned the US$35 figure, that was $16 for the decoder and ~$17 for the motor (via BrickLink). That still doesn’t include any taxes and shipping. So, as a do-it-yourself project, you could do it for around $35. When you consider the margins of doing something like this commercially, it makes you realize all the more just how much of a community service it is that companies like HiTechnic perform.

   Of course I suppose that power would become a problem if you hung more than a few motors off one RCX output. Any thoughts on what to do about that? E.g., would it be possible to rig it so that the motors draw their power from another source (an RC car battery for example), and just get the command signals from the RCX? Or is this not an important issue?

There are several solutions to this. In fact, I mention a few here in a previous post when discussing the DCC brick.

Other ideas include building a mini DCC booster. This would take the DCC signal from an RCX output and amplify the current using an external supply such as a battery box (or boxes). A small booster that handled 2-3 amps wouldn’t be all that big, perhaps no larger than a Technic motor. (I’ve already purchased parts for such a project - just haven’t gotten around to building it yet... :-)

Cheers,

Mark