 Robotics / 22774
Re: Future Mindstorm Releases?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 00:35:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:
   There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone buying bare electronic parts and sticking them in their own bricks if they want.

Well, yes, there is, if by “bricks” you mean RCX units -- doing so is considerably harder than connecting them to other controllers, or so it appears to me (but I could be all wrong there, I’m just a newbie).

A relatively simple way to hack together an output expander is to throw a commercially available DCC controller into a brick[1]:

Each one of these bricks can control two lamps and a motor. Since each of these DCC bricks is individually addressable, you could string many of the bricks together on a single RCX output. The main limitation is available power. You’d probably want to limit the use of the DCC bricks to “accessories” that aren’t generally powered at the same time, reserving the two other RCX outputs for your robot’s drive motors.

It’s also possible to parallel the RCX outputs (as is done with my LDCC train program) to make more power available to the DCC bus:

Although I haven’t tried it yet, it should be possible to hack the DCC controller’s circuit board to accept external power from a battery box, thus overcoming the RCX power limitations.

DCC communicates at rates faster than can be produced by the standard RCX firmware, so you’ll have to use one of the other programming environments. Presently, there are DCC drivers for both BrickOS and pbForth.

As to the input expansion issue, the DCC standard has recently been updated to include a bidirectional communication protocol. I’ve been looking at putting together a simple circuit connected to an RCX input to read data from the DCC bus. However, an off-the-shelf bidirectional DCC controller that could be adapted for use as a sensor input isn’t currently available, so I’ll have to put something together using a PIC to test the viability of the concept.

Anyways, at the cost of one RCX output port and one RCX sensor port, a 2-wire I/O expansion bus (based on the DCC standard) and utilizing intelligent nodes seems achievable.

Mark

[1] Dave Koudys has some nice pics of his original DCC brick on his site.