 Robotics / 22779
Re: Future Mindstorm Releases?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:59:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Mark Riley wrote:

A relatively simple way to hack together an {output} expander is to throw a
commercially available DCC controller into a brick\[1\]:

DCC?  As in <http://www.nmra.org/standards/dccbasic.html>?  I had to do a search
for that, this is the first I've heard of it.  Sounds interesting.

Each one of these bricks can control two lamps and a motor.  Since each of
these DCC bricks is individually addressable, you could string many of the
bricks together on a single RCX output.

That's pretty cool.  How fast can you control those outputs?  And how difficult
is it to program?  (The NMRA link to the communications standard document is
broken.)

This is a very interesting approach.  Thanks for sharing it!

Best,
- Joe

Hey Joe,

I'n not speaking for Mark, but I started using his LDCC--

http://home.surewest.net/markril/Lego/dcc/index.html

when I first heard about it and I love it!  Right now I use it basically for my
train layout, but at a few rtl dinners, the conversations went something like
this--

"Have you ever taken apart a Technic 9v motor?"

"Why yes I have..."

"See how much room there is inside there under the contact plate?"

"Seems to be a bit of room..."

"Almost enuf to put in an N gauge DCC chip..."

"Rightly so..."

"If you did that to your Technic 9v motors, you could control each one
individually off of one RCX!"

Well, the conversation's a little cleaned up...

Anyway, I built a few 2x8 DCC bricks that control motors and lights, and they
work very well.

Have a boo at Mark's site and I'm sure you see the potential for RCX robot
building.

I'm in the process right now of trying to set up various automated things on my
train layout using LDCC for control of train and accessory motors and NQC for
sensor readings.  It looks very promising.

Dave K