 Pirates / 721
Re: From St. Nazarie to Port Block...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:40:51 GMT

Tony Priestman wrote:

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Mr L F Braun (<38C779C7.1999F253@pilot.msu.edu>)
wrote at 10:15:35

Hmmm...seems you Brickish folk are getting a bit too smug.

We're not smug, we know we're right ;-)

One can be right *and* smug, of course.  :)

Sure,
there are only 12 guns,

Hardly worth bothering with, then.

You haven't seen how much powder they pack behind the shells in those guns.
(I may also add some guns on the upper deck--smaller pieces, or perhaps
mortars.)

This ship--christened _La Gloire_--is destined to cause all sorts of
mischief, we're sure.

I'm afraid so.

Especially to my postgraduate education.

Terribly French, I say.

So no good can come of it :-)

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche (unless they're on a ship with lots of guns)!

Now the serious stuff:

A few "current phase" shots, up until I can find a better home; the
first shows a 3/4
approach and the second a 3/4 recession:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-foreqtr.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-aftqtr.jpg

Wow. It's *massive*

~150 studs long, 18 studs wide--a little on the narrow side.  It doesn't roll
well, sort of like the real _Gloire_.

Next, here's the guns run out and ports up.  The guns have limited
pivot--they're fairly
dangerous that way--and they can indeed depress to hit much smaller
targets that try to
close the range.  ;)

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-gundeck.jpg

How do you run the guns out? are they mounted on tiles, like most of
TLC's ships?

This was a serious piece of engineering--I used one of the slotted 1x4 bricks
from the Pirates line, one regular 1x4, and on the 2x2 base (under the 2x2
turntable) there is one 1x2 brick and one 1x2 one-stud plate--so it's
1/2-stud offset and sits in that groove.  This prevents me from needing 24
slotted 1x4s--so it's just like the TLC ones in principle, except not as tall
and with greater economy of special bricks in the recoil mechanism.

I hope to have fitting-out done in the next few days; then the ship will
be much more
attractive and look much less like a black and white box with guns
(which is pretty much
what the genuine article looked like.)

I've been trying to take some pics of HMS Floater, but the light has
been appalling this week. She will have about 13 cannon a side on the
main deck, plus a few others forward, and on the quarter deck.

You need a digital!  _Gloire_ may "develop" another two to three cannon a
side, or some mortars (as mentioned above)--but the upperworks are coming
along nicely.  I'm out of rigging pieces, because I didn't do her masts in a
barque rig--which the original ship did have--but as a "standard" TLC pirate
rig.  This would not be a problem except that the big black/brown trapezoidal
rigging bits were the wrong size so I built it out of the 1x1-dot-ended 42L
and 21L threads.  Very wasteful, but it looks nice--more photos tonight, once
Phase Nine is done (the compass-platform, the searchlights, and the
deckhouses).

By the way, I've managed to contrive a decent ship's boat lowering system
with davits--my personal "justification for consuming planetary oxygen" for
the day.  It's more useful than putting Beanie Babies in boxes, at any rate.

I'm not sure if practising broadsides against the Gloire will be a good
idea, though :-)

Just don't stop moving.  They can't hit a moving target (too much beaujolais
and brie), and I shudder to think of the ship's turn radius.  So perhaps HMS
Floater should try to do more than its name implies!  :)

best

Lindsay