 Pirates / 715
Re: From St. Nazarie to Port Block...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:45:14 GMT

Richard Parsons wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote
The Repubrickan Navy (the fine and egalitarian
institution it is) has decided to send a...presence out
to yonder Pacific-type points.  This is no wee sloop;

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-foreqtr.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-aftqtr.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-cargohold.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-3-gundeck.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-gundeck.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-gallery.jpg

Repubrickan vessels are always welcome at Port Block.

Obviously we'll have to shoot at her, what with her being a Frenchie and
all, but she'll be most welcome.

That's OK.  The functionalist approach is "what good is the iron plating unless
you can watch shot bounce off it?"

And I wouldn't let us shooting at her worry you overly.  Port Block's
gunners aren't exactly top of the line.  Actually they're not really even in
the line at all.  They'd be the noisy guys over in the corner, well away
from the line altogether, smashed out of their gourds, toasting King Richard
II.  The only thing they can hit with a cannon is a high decibel count.

That's OK.  The French always seem to forget that special ships and special guns
require special ammunition and special facilities...thus leading to a perpetual
shortage.  Just like 'em, to take something useful and put it somewhere useless.

National pride aside, 'La Gloire' looks just glorious, which is kind of
righteous when you think about it.  The size, the proportion, the

colouration.  Even though I'd have to shoot at her, I find myself kind of
hoping I will indeed see her with my own eyes one day anyway, even if she is
steaming angrily into Port Block.

Only if you deny her crew liver paté.  I'll definitely have photos once she's
done; I'm just sorry that the primary citadel/casemate doesn't show its relief
in those photos.

I can't see from the photos - how do you get the decks to meet up with the
wedge bow?

Luck and geometry.  It's 1x4/2x2 hinges around a frame, my standard method; but
the "bow sides" are 18 studs long and topped with tiles at just the right
height.  Since the ship is 16 wide there, it's two 4x8 wing pieces on each side
and a 2xN in the middle--works out almost perfectly.  Then I took a couple of
2x4x2 omnistud bricks and used them to mount the fairing.  It's sort of the same
principle I used on the destroyers.

best

Lindsay