 Pirates / 716
Re: From St. Nazarie to Port Block...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:17:12 GMT

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Mr L F Braun (<38C779C7.1999F253@pilot.msu.edu>)
wrote at 10:15:35

Hmmm...seems you Brickish folk are getting a bit too smug.

We're not smug, we know we're right ;-)

Sure,
there are only 12 guns,

Hardly worth bothering with, then.

This ship--christened _La Gloire_--is destined to cause all sorts of
mischief, we're sure.

I'm afraid so.

Terribly French, I say.

So no good can come of it :-)

designed to inspire fear, loathing, and lots of rude
gestures from the
Brickish.

I gesture in your general direction!

Now the serious stuff:

A few "current phase" shots, up until I can find a better home; the
first shows a 3/4
approach and the second a 3/4 recession:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-foreqtr.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-aftqtr.jpg

Wow. It's *massive*

Next, here's the guns run out and ports up.  The guns have limited
pivot--they're fairly
dangerous that way--and they can indeed depress to hit much smaller
targets that try to
close the range.  ;)

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-gundeck.jpg

How do you run the guns out? are they mounted on tiles, like most of
TLC's ships?

My absolutely favourite part of the ship--the stern gallery, where the
Admiral's cabin is
located.  This came out fantastically!  Somehow, those silly hard
plastic tubes were just
the right length to meet at the flagstaff.

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-gallery.jpg

A lovely piece of work.

I hope to have fitting-out done in the next few days; then the ship will
be much more
attractive and look much less like a black and white box with guns
(which is pretty much
what the genuine article looked like.)

I've been trying to take some pics of HMS Floater, but the light has
been appalling this week. She will have about 13 cannon a side on the
main deck, plus a few others forward, and on the quarter deck.

I'm not sure if practising broadsides against the Gloire will be a good
idea, though :-)
--
Tony Priestman