 Pirates / 710
Subject:
From St. Nazarie to Port Block...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:15:35 GMT

Hmmm...seems you Brickish folk are getting a bit too smug.

Bearing that in mind, the Repubrickan Navy (the fine and egalitarian
institution it is) has
decided to send a...presence out to yonder Pacific-type points.  This is
no wee sloop;
rather, it's a first-rank ironclad of the "slap plates on it" variety
(because, as everyone
knows, shipbuilding iron isn't the best stuff in the world).  Sure,
there are only 12 guns,
but what guns they are, and what protection they're hiding behind!

This ship--christened _La Gloire_--is destined to cause all sorts of
mischief, we're sure.
Why, it would even be a *dangerous* vessel, were it not for the French
habit of sending
the inept and incompetent out to command overseas.  (Why?  Well, because
anyone
worth their salt wouldn't want to leave the K'Nexinent, and it's a fine
excuse to get rid of
all those weebles who won't go away on their own.)  So, in a sense,
they're getting the
biggest, most formidable platform possible, and then flushing it down
the administrative
toilet.  Terribly French, I say.

Anyways, _Gloire_ is in what I call "Phase Six" of construction, roughly
analagous to
fitting-out (albeit with cannon installed).  The stack isn't up yet, but
the stubs of all three
masts are; I'm planning to keep it close to the ship's historical rig,
even though I've sort of
blown it already by giving it only twelve guns.  ;)  This is an
exceedingly loose
interpretation, designed to inspire fear, loathing, and lots of rude
gestures from the
Brickish.

A few "current phase" shots, up until I can find a better home; the
first shows a 3/4
approach and the second a 3/4 recession:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-foreqtr.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-aftqtr.jpg

The cargo hold (no big thrills, trust me):

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-cargohold.jpg

It's actually pretty spacious in the ship; this is a shot with the doors
open.  The hold itself
is nine bricks high and 12x12; there are two "annex rooms" each 5x6x5
and a platform
for perishables that's above those two and forward of these doors.
Plenty of room to
hold supplies for a ship that has few friendly ports--or that seeks to
gain command of
unfriendly ones!  Oh, as for the hapless sailors?  Well, they sleep with
the shells,
underneath the gun deck that can be found in stage three at:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-3-gundeck.jpg

Naturally, the Admiral sleeps in the stern gallery, and has a red
carpet.

Next, here's the guns run out and ports up.  The guns have limited
pivot--they're fairly
dangerous that way--and they can indeed depress to hit much smaller
targets that try to
close the range.  ;)

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-gundeck.jpg

My absolutely favourite part of the ship--the stern gallery, where the
Admiral's cabin is
located.  This came out fantastically!  Somehow, those silly hard
plastic tubes were just
the right length to meet at the flagstaff.

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/gloire-6-gallery.jpg

I hope to have fitting-out done in the next few days; then the ship will
be much more
attractive and look much less like a black and white box with guns
(which is pretty much
what the genuine article looked like.)

best

Lindsay

Re: From St. Nazarie to Port Block...?
In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
[...]

I think "The Junk" will avoid Port BlocK if that behemoth leaves
drydock....hmmmmm...2 cannons, 6 muskets, 1 pistol and 12 katanas vs "THE
IRON GIANT" ...I guess my ship would be the naval equivalent of a fly on the
windshield....oh my !

Re: From St. Nazarie to Port Block...?