 Pirates / 722
Re: What class is my ship?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:48:05 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, David Simmons writes:
Greetin's ye swabs!

Arrr.  Welcome to Pirates.  Here's yer parrot and yer peg leg...

I recently expanded my BSB by adding two hull sections and a third mast.  It
is now capable of holding eight cannons.  Does this particular configuration
fall into a definable ship category.  I'd like to be able to describe it
accurately to my non-Lego friends.  BTW, did ships ever have a torch or
light mounted on the rear of a mast?  I have mine set up that way and really
like the look of it, but I'm not sure if it's historically accurate.

I always loved doing that too.  IIRC, later sailing ships did include such
lamps--held a ways away from the mast itself, naturally, and enclosed as fully as
possible--to be seen from a distance.  I do like the looks of it in any case, and
if you want to do it, who's to say--it's a fictional ship!  :)  I think that as
long as there's a lookout up top, a lamp of some kind is likely to be present for
identification and signalling.

It depends on the rigging of the ship and whose definitions you want to use.  A
three-masted square-rigged ship is a "ship".  Cannon aren't really proportional
on Lego vessels, so it's kind of hard to use them in the definition.  Go here:

http://www.halcyon.com/wanttaja/rigs.gif

...to get some some general idea of what mast/sail combinations get defined as
what.  Of course, many countries had many defintions for specific types of
ships based on their hull, upper decks, sails, intent, etc.

I'd bet he's ship-rigged, or at least a hybrid. (Brig or the like--I chuckled at
"hermaphrodite brig."  I wonder where that term came from?)  But you could probably
call it a sloop (very piratey!) or a brig (ditto, but IMHO less so)--but weren't a
lot of real pirate ships in fact converted merchantmen?

best

Lindsay