 Pirates / 728
Re: What class is my ship?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:06:10 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, David Simmons writes:
Greetin's ye swabs!

Arrr.  Welcome to Pirates.  Here's yer parrot and yer peg leg...

Grog!  Where be the grog?  The parrot I be having says nuthin' what one would
call nautical yet.  But he sez, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!"  One has to be careful what
ones sez in front o' a clever parrot.  (and I only said it once!)

I recently expanded my BSB by adding two hull sections and a third mast. • It
is now capable of holding eight cannons.  Does this particular • 0configuration
fall into a definable ship category.  I'd like to be able to describe it
accurately to my non-Lego friends.  BTW, did ships ever have a torch or
light mounted on the rear of a mast?  I have mine set up that way and • really
like the look of it, but I'm not sure if it's historically accurate.

I always loved doing that too.  IIRC, later sailing ships did include such
lamps--held a ways away from the mast itself, naturally, and enclosed as fully • as
possible--to be seen from a distance.  I do like the looks of it in any case, • and
if you want to do it, who's to say--it's a fictional ship!  :)  I think that • as
long as there's a lookout up top, a lamp of some kind is likely to be present • for
identification and signalling.

It depends on the rigging of the ship and whose definitions you want to use. • A
three-masted square-rigged ship is a "ship".  Cannon aren't really • proportional
on Lego vessels, so it's kind of hard to use them in the definition.  Go • here:

http://www.halcyon.com/wanttaja/rigs.gif

...to get some some general idea of what mast/sail combinations get defined • as
what.  Of course, many countries had many defintions for specific types of
ships based on their hull, upper decks, sails, intent, etc.

I'd bet he's ship-rigged, or at least a hybrid. (Brig or the like--I chuckled • at
"hermaphrodite brig."  I wonder where that term came from?)  But you could • probably
call it a sloop (very piratey!) or a brig (ditto, but IMHO less so)--but • weren't a
lot of real pirate ships in fact converted merchantmen?

best

Lindsay

Sloops were the bulk of pirate vessels, though the very name brig is from its
association with brigands (okay, I suppose that goes back to the celtic tribe,
but let's not get too convoluted).  Sloops were good for smuggling and
skulking.  Schooners kind of came along late for the core piracy period, but
had their share of pirate masters (they are perfect for the narrow Lego hull
and make my favorite pirate ship).  Most at least started with a converted
merchantman until something better blundered into their path.  Hermaphrodite
brigs are halfway between a brig and a brigantine.  That or some very confused
pirates crewed 'em.  :-)

Bruce