 Pirates / 720
Re: What class is my ship?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:05:26 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, David Simmons writes:
Greetin's ye swabs!

I recently expanded my BSB by adding two hull sections and a third mast.  It
is now capable of holding eight cannons.  Does this particular configuration
fall into a definable ship category.  I'd like to be able to describe it
accurately to my non-Lego friends.  BTW, did ships ever have a torch or
light mounted on the rear of a mast?  I have mine set up that way and really
like the look of it, but I'm not sure if it's historically accurate.

Dave

--
"There is no end, no beginning.  There is only the infinite passion of
life."  -Federico Fellini

It depends on the rigging of the ship and whose definitions you want to use.  A
three-masted square-rigged ship is a "ship".  Cannon aren't really proportional
on Lego vessels, so it's kind of hard to use them in the definition.  Go here:

http://www.halcyon.com/wanttaja/rigs.gif

...to get some some general idea of what mast/sail combinations get defined as
what.  Of course, many countries had many defintions for specific types of
ships based on their hull, upper decks, sails, intent, etc.

Bruce