 Pirates / 291
Re: Imperial Soldiers Rank?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 07:57:49 GMT

Tom,

I don't think there was ever a formal ranking system, you'll have to sort
one out for your own armed forces.

There are two torsos: the grunt's, with the crossed white sashes, and the
officer's (so I use them ;-) with the buttoned back top coat, showing off
the inner lining.

Pants depend on where and when you're serving.  In Australia, in my time,
the pants were buff/white (circa 1800).  Later (circa 1850) they were black,
but I think there was a lot of regional variation.

There are three uniform hats: the shako, the unmarked bicorn, and the white
embroidered bicorn.  All the bicorns have provision for plumes.  Now since
my red coats are army (blue coats being navy), the Governor of Port Block is
likely to get a tad tetchy if you call his hat and admiral's hat ;-)

I have seen plumes in red and white

I have seen epaulettes in blue, red, brown, gold and white.  I tend to use
gold with the red coats generally. For the blue coats, I leave the
epaulettes off (or go red) for junior officers and go with the white for
tough guys.  For naval garrison troops, I go with the red. Grubby pirate
captains, and earnest naval captains that have been at sea a long time both
look good in brown epaulettes.

For variation, in the army, I have tended to let NCOs wear the officer's
coat, but still the shako and backpack.

Now mind you, some of my guys are pretty darn stupid, and they're just as
like to go out wearing anything at all, and occasionally nothing at all (if
its warm enough).

No doubt your army will have better (and stricter) dress codes :-)

Regards

Richard
Still baldly going...
Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~guinan/