 Pirates / 314
Re: Imperial Soldiers Rank?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:37:47 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
Bruce Schlickbernd wrote

For ships, you can fill out your crew with striped-shirted guys.
Color-coding is one way to go: red stripes with red coats, blue stripes with
blue coats.  Certainly cuts down on having to obtain expensive soldier figs.
Or go more british navy and switch all your redcoats to the shako-backpack
configuration to make them marines, and bluecoats as officers.

This seems to suggest that all members of naval ship crews should be
uniformed - I don't know about that.  At some point crews did become
uniformed, but up to 1800 (at least) only officers wore uniforms.  There may
have been a dress code, but not uniforms.

The point is that ship crews can be raised from standard pirate figs.

You are absolutely correct from an historical viewpoint - however, I usually
write these kind of things from a gaming standpoint.  That way I know who
belongs where.  But my admirals wear their bicorns front-to-back rather than
side-to-side, so what do I know.  :-)

Bruce