 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 152
Re: TEXLUG Meeting Wrap-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:42:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, Thomas Avery writes:
Take a look at all the great MOCs at the meeting:

The meeting was a great success. I think everyone had a great time and
enjoyed the gathering.

I know I did!  Christina says she did too, but I know whether she did or not
she'd say that ;)

MOC CONTEST RESULTS:
first place: Laura's Cathedral
second place: Anthony's Griffon
third place: Tom's Fantasy Train

Lobot rocks! :)

SOME ACTIVITIES:
(Please reply with more if you can, I know I didn't get everything here.)
The train layout was just for fun and to get an idea of how much train stuff
we had as a group.

But was an important introduction into the world of lego trains for those who
were unfamiliar.

Anthony posed his green dragon in various pictures and let his griffon
attack Laura's cathedral. Needless to say there were many unique picture
taking opportunities.

I'd like to point out that the Griffon won and moved on to my castle... ;)

There were a few derailments and other crashes, but nothing serious. No one
was crazy enough to stage a head-on or other catastrophe. We managed to shut
down a controller by running 4 locos for an extended time.

Can we try head-ons and other catastrophes next time? :)  j/k

Pat brought his huge blue container of parts (sorted this time!), but the
trading activity was much less at this meeting. I guess everyone focused on
building MOCs and bringing them to the meeting.

Sorry Pat, maybe next time you won't have so much to lug (no pun intended) back
to your car.

We mostly sat around and talked about Lego while watching the trains. It was
great spending a whole Saturday with other AFOLs and sharing our common
interest in Lego.

I second that!

SPECIAL THANKS AND APPRECIATION TO:

Jason: for hosting the meeting and providing a meeting place (thanks to his
wife too! Although she wasn't there, I'm sure she had a part in the decision
to allow their house to be invaded!)

Let us hope that we left their house just as we found it, if not in better
shape.

Laura: for helping with the meeting coordination, making sure we all had
enough to eat, and helping me with the MOC contest voting.

If chads were involved, I want a recount!  Well, ok, nah.  :)

Those who paid for the pizza and did not demand to be paid back. Perhaps
those who didn't pay can pick up the bill at the next meeting.

I'll be the first to put my money down on the counter next time.  (providing I
can actually get there when the meeting starts)

Those who brought food, drinks, and snacks.

Pat: for updating and maintaining our website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~houghpt/default.htm

AND FINALLY:

I think having a train layout is a good way to bring all of us together. We
all had a great time with it, and all of us contributed to it, in one way or
another. It was a blend of town (past, present, and future), fantasy,
Technic, and robotics (Mindstorms).

I'm sorry if you were unable to attend, but we'll have another meeting again
in the near future. Keep an eye on the TEXLUG newsgroup!

TJ Avery

Especially now that we know when the next Brickfest will be.  We should lock
down some plans to go.  I'm gonna try my hardest to go, with TEXLug or not, but
if I get a job (as I am attempting to graduate this summer) I may or may not
get off work.  I just don't know yet.

In any case, I had fun this time, and I know I'll have fun the next.  See ya'll
then!

--Anthony
http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html