 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3025
3024  |  3026
Subject:
Robotic Combat on TV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 23:28:37 GMT

Robotwars is on on Saturday?  Is this the American one on TNN or the UK one
on PBS?

Here is a complete schedule of robotic combat for the next two weeks:

Sunday 12/23/01
1:00am 32 TNN Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors
        42 DSCC Battlebots
12:00pm 50 SPACE Robot Wars

Monday 12/24/01
3:00pm 42 DSCC Battlebots

Tuesday 12/25/01
12:00am 32 TNN Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors

Wednesday 12/26/01
8:00pm 34 TLC Robotica
11:00pm 34 TLC Robotica

Saturday 12/29/01
12:00am 18 WNED Robot Wars
2:00pm 34 TLC Robotica
5:00pm 42 DSCC Battlebots
7:00pm 50 SPACE Robot Wars
8:00pm 42 DSCC Battlebots
9:00pm 32 TNN Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors

Sunday 12/30/01
1:00am 32 TNN Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors
        42 DSCC Battlebots
12:00pm 50 SPACE Robot Wars

Monday 12/31/01
3:00pm 42 DSCC Battlebots

Tuesday 1/1/02
12:00am 32 TNN Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors - War of Independence

Wednesday 1/2/02
8:00pm 34 TLC Robotica
11:00pm 34 TLC Robotica

Friday 1/4/02
8:30pm 44 COMNET Battlebots

Saturday 1/5/02
12:00am 18 WNED Robot Wars
2:00pm 34 TLC Robotica
5:00pm 42 DSCC Battlebots
7:00pm 50 SPACE Robot Wars
8:00pm 42 DSCC Battlebots
9:00pm 32 TNN Robot Wars: Grand Champions
9:30pm 32 TNN Robot Wars: Grand Champions

I find that most of the damage done is using kinetic energy through speed
and smashing with mass, versus some sort of stupid weapon.  These guys with
pneumatic spikes and hammers are really wasting their time, because it it's
relative ratios of mass at play:  You're not going to damage a robot with
some little spike even if it's powered by HPA, when you could do much more
damage by slamming an opponent with the full force of your robot's weight
(and theirs if too if you hit a wall).

I agree that if the best you can do is a Tonka chainsaw powered by a
windshield wiper motor, then you better off with a plain wedge design.
Although if you manage to come up with a weapon design that’s powerful yet
allows your bot to remain as maneuverable as any wedge-bot - you’re on the
easy street.
Take the two most destructive robots from BattleBots – Backlash and
Nightmare, both rely on a vertically spinning flywheel with a pair of steel
teeth. Ever saw those two toss opponents 2-3 metes in the air, ripping off
lexan shields and tearing apart the internal components? That’s a weapon to
be reckoned with! Needless to say many bots don’t survive the first couple
of hits. I doubt that “smashing with mass” comes even close. I can come up
with another two dozen of similar examples where a simple yet effective
weapon proves to be by a long shot more damaging than any ram-bot could ever
be. I would most definitely feel more secure with a weapon-bot, rather than
another wheel-chair with a ramp.

On another note – just motorized my 8466 with a classy “V8” of gear-motors,
only to find out that the gear-box isn’t strong enough for the amount of
torque required to move this monstrosity... Even on the 1st and Rev gears
the diffs and 12t bevel joints start falling apart – not a pretty sight =((

Ivan