 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14951
Re: RCX and train motors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:46:12 GMT

You want some fun??  Try this some time--

Take one RCX (preferably with AC adapter)

Take one Train track connecting wire.

Connect wire to Port A (or B or C--matters not)

Connect leads to train track

Put locomotive on train track.

Now, get a RCX remote and push the 'up' arrow for A

Watch locomotive careen off track and smash onto floor...

We have been using an RCX to control trains running back and forth on a track
which has a terminus at each end, not a loop. (To make this sensorless, there
are diodes inserted in the track at each end so trains can power out of the
station, not into it. This causes them to coast nicely to a halt in the
station.)

The thing is, although a motor by itself will go way too fast, when it is
pulling a whole train of cars, that won't happen. I usually have to run NQC with
power set in the 3 - 5 area.

What I ended up doing was a simple timing sequence which applies higher power
for a few seconds to get the train moving, then coasts on straights at lower
power and adds a little power for the corners. (I tune the timing for each
layout. It usually only takes 20 minutes or so to get it just so.) The train
typically takes 10 - 15 seconds to get from one end of the track to the other.
The RCX reverses the direction every 30 seconds or so which makes the train sit
in the station for the right amount of time.

So I'd say don't give up on the RCX as a train controller. It works great for
me. Ver. 1.0 with the A/C power connector of course.

JB