 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14945
Re: RCX and train motors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:47:34 GMT

David Koudys wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian Davis wrote:

<snip>

  Well, for the GBC trains at BrickFest neither Steve nor I did anything with
LDCC (we talked about it, but found we could do without). I used NQC, and Steve
used BrickOS, and both of us had reasonably could speed and positioning control.
What are you trying to do?

I think there are a few variables--I saw the videos of the GBC--that's what
inspired me, btw--and it's a pretty big loop--therefore more resistance in the
rails.

I'm running a pretty small loop with a prety small train.

Actually, you can see the loop here--

http://sparky.i989.net/blog/00000281.php

It's that upper portion--the issue is, the train has to go around and back up
into the sidings.  Hard to control on such a small section of track--it's too
fast when it hits the touch sensor at the ends of the sidings.

I was going to go with the light sensors, as I think the GBC does--that works
well on the loop 'cause the train shoots past the light sensor on the loop, then
backs up.

The problem wit hthe siding is that I don't have alotta room for 'slowdown'
room, though that is the direction I'm heading in.

That also means I'll need 4 light sensors just for the upper loop.

I'm going to do more this weekend nad I'll keep y'all apprised.

If it doesn't work, then it's LDCC IR'ed to an NQC'd RCX

Dave K

have you tried making your own PWM speed setting in NQC?

5  X = ??  Y = ??
10 ? CLR
20 motor A ON
30 wait x
40 motor A OFF
50 wait Y
60 goto 20

Man I wish NQC was that easy.

either way you get the idea. you can PWM the RCX yourself and control
both the ON and OFF times to change the "speed"

Chris