 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 590
Re: Supertrain Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:56:56 GMT

Many thanks to you two for sending your trains.  I don't suppose
you'd like me to "store" them for you on a permanent basis?   8-)

You can have them until about ~20th May or so :).

I too was pleasantly surprised that the VIA stripes lined up, but then
I realized what JamesP said - it's a fortunate natural outcome of the
brick and window spacing/sizing.  I didn't think JamesP's blue engine
quite looked like a VIA engine, but it was the only blue engine we
had, so...   As for surviving the trip, very little of it did survive intact,
(similar with Zonker's, but not as bad) but I was able to reconstruct
almost everything.  (I'm sure glad you used all those zip-lock bags.)
That all-SNOT VIA engine was beyond me though - especially without
an idea of what the intact engine looked like.  :-)    It's too bad Kai
didn't send his VIA engine.  http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/nalug/?n=556

_bad_ experience taught me to use the Ziplock bags.  The first show I went to
(hey, the only one I _have_ been to :(  ) I took a bunch of stuff, including my
passenger train (based on Metroliner)...unfortunatly, it didn't survive the
trip over in the Turbo Beaver to Seattle very well.  I spent ~3 hrs rebuilding
everything from an assortment of pieces, that I didn't know what belonged to
what.  Fortunately, I was about to dismantle most of the stuff anyway...

As for a photo, I thought I had posted some...(goes and checks)
(http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2049/LegoJPG/VIA/VIA.html)

I normally include a bunch of photos with stuff like that...doh!

(and yes, because it is SNOT, it is not a intuative design at _ALL_.  A lot of
it does not make sense, until you realize that it is indeed SNOT construction.
It is a shame that there is no way to make the compound nose shape out of Lego
(or at least, I didn't come up with a decent way :)

(that's for the FP7, the Class 25 is far more normal in its construction, and
has quite a rigid body.  The FP lacks a real rigid body, and it shows...I could
flex in the sides a ways, and there was no easy way to cure that problem once I
had built it.  Next time, I have some ideas I will incorporate into it, and I
can Ldraw it up)

James