 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 585
Re: Supertrain Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:18:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, David K. Z. Harris writes:
The mountain was incredible (coming from someone who spent a few hours
working on a couple GMLTC-like modules, and then sorting and stacking
bricks for others to use to continue after me... ;-)

What was awe-inspiring to me is that the mountain is only about 2/3's of a
GMLTC module!  I have a new respect (not that I didn't before, but...) for
the guys doing that style of modular layout.  (I say 2/3's because while my
mountain is taller, the GMLTC lattice is only for about the same height of
bricks worth(~25), and it is across 4 large gray baseplates, not 6)

It was also very cool to see my models on display! I think the stripes
on all of the blue VIA coaches lined up well, considering they were built
by two folks, working independantly, and without coordination! :-)

I was really impressed with both yours & James P's Via trains.  Fortunately,
I'm a castle guy, so I'm not, repeat NOT planning to duplicate them in
8-wide.  The drool marks on the coaches must be someone else's, too.  ;)

The CP engine, and matching caboose were awe-inspiring! (Seeing the
nice one next to mine was a striking contrast! Someone said that was
an 8-wide train, right? OK, now I don't feel so bad. ;-)

Yup, 'tis 8-wide.  Kevin Maynes is our local 8-wide modeler, and gets credit
for that whole train.  If I were interested in trains (which I'm not,
honest) I would be thinking about doing a couple tankers on his design, and
making some covered 4-chamber hoppers.  Fortunately, I'm not hooked on trains.

It's been very difficult to find CP, CN, and VIA decals in California.
I'm going to start looking for adds in the modeling magazines. Does anyone
have recommendations for particular decal makers, or for which scale(s)
look best on "L-Guage" trains (6- or 8-wide)?

I believe Kevin did all the stickers himself for those.  Beyond that, I have
no idea.

James