 Off-Topic / Debate / 3898
Re: Farlie A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:02:01 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Patents do a good job of
protecting a person against independant reinvention, but you cannot
patent an idea.

My understanding is that you can't copyright an idea either: copyright
protects an *expression*, ie a poem, a computer program, a piece of
music. Writing a program to print a calendar means you have copyright in
the program, but not the idea of printing calendars.

Going back to Alex's original post:

       3. Technic Bucket
       A black breifcase/bucket with over 300? technic elements.
       Contaning a selection of elements from technic range.

Sounds like 8062, "Universal set with storage case", 403 pcs with a
yellow and black case.

Personally I can see Lego Trains as a major competitor to graden >railway systems such as LGB. Therefore I propose the following.
- Individual vehicels for the 9V system would be a good idea.

This is hardly a new idea since Lego has done it many times in the past
even though there are no separate single vehicles currently available.

- Fix the gemotry on the points to allow for the double tracked layouts

I'm sure this has already been mentioned many times in .Trains

- 2nd radius curves?

Ditto

- More Model stations.( Platform Baseplates?)

Platform baseplates? Like the current 16x16 raised platforms, or
something different?

- Signals?

Would be great... but again lego has produced these in the past so it's
not a new idea.

- A link to a special Mindstorms/Loco program to control the trains?

Discussed repeatedly on LUGNET and some people are either doing it or
working on it.

- Isolating Track
- Point Motor!-(This is LONG overdue!)

Both very useful ideas, but already mooted many times (and again there
are several designs floating around or being worked on for motorising or
pneumatically controllling points).

Alex, not that I don't think your ideas are good, they are, but if you
want to claim them as original then you need to do more reasearch on
what has already been suggested and discussed.

If you're writing a formal letter, you might also consider using a spell
checker :-)

Kevin
--

Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com