 Off-Topic / Debate / 3885
Re: Farlie A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:39:16 GMT

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:03:19 GMT, Mark Tarrabain <markt@lynx.bc.ca>
wrote:

Farlie A wrote:

Ideas and postings on LUGNET ny me may be freely used for non-commerical
purposes by readers of LUGNET (in the development of design concepts and new
ways of building with LEGO(R)) & for accademic purposes with appropriate
citation.

They may also be used by The LEGO Group.
If a member of thier design tema wishs to contatct me I can be reached by
email at ba124@city.ac.uk or through the Dept of Computing, City University,
London, UK.

They may not be used for the development of clone brands  in rival to
Lego(R) bricks.

Well... this is ideal, of course... but is it actually enforceable?

No.

There's no way to prove that Joe Blow, who at some point in the future
comes up with say a custom model of a large "beachfront" house, got
the idea to produce it from this thread, and specifically from the
author in question.

But even if he did _see_ the post and it's many COOL IDEAS (don't want
to suggest that they aren't, because many of them are) so many of them
have been suggested BEFORE by _other people_, that to say "you can
only use the ideas in this post for non-commercial purposes" is kinda
silly.  If Joe Blow came up with a cool beachfront house or a really
cool Roman Villa and wanted to produce copies of it for sale to others
there's really nothing that anyone who had simply thrown out the idea
"hey, this would be cool" would be able to do to collect on that or
stop it, even if they went to the trouble (albeit misguided) to
specify the ideas were only meant for such and such purposes, etc.

This whole issue probably is slanted more towards patent and copyright
stuff than I care for, especially since IANAL, but my basic point was
that very few, if any, of the ideas put forth in that message were
"original" (as in, hadn't ever been posted before by anyone else) that
claiming some sort of control over them is pointless.

Now if the author actually produced a beachfront cabana or something,
drew up instructions for it, something, and posted that, sure, those
would be copyrighted works worthy of protection.  But suggesting
something like, "hey, a Wild West train would be a good idea - but
only TLG can produce it commercially not clone brands and members of
LUGNET can only produce it non-commercially" is, sorry to say,
foolish.

And yeah, I'm very familiar with citing other sources, etc, especially
in the academic world.  I spent far too many years working on my
degree in the academic world to miss that, and I continue to work
_for_ the academic world.  But posting something here isn't quite the
same as giving a paper at a conference of my academic peers.  :)

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/