 Dear LEGO / 1395
1394  |  1396
Subject:
A Clarification on My earlier posting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:46:45 GMT

Regarding my earlier messages.

Sorry!

I was wrong in a number of respects  :- (

<SNIP>

The note about plagrisim was not intended to be harmful to any discusiions
in the group or to genuine AFOL's. I am willing to shae ideas.  It was there
because I didn't wan't to be ripped off!

In Additon LUGNET Terms of use (quoted in context here) clearly state:
'
   7.  By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging
       in any other form of communication through this service, you are
       granting LUGNET and its owners a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-
       free, unrestricted, non-exclusive, worldwide license to:

       i.  Use, copy, publish, sublicense, adapt, transmit, archive,
           restore, publicly perform, or display any such communication
           in any medium, and to

       ii. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to
           exercise any or all of the foregoing rights granted with
           respect to the communication. '

DISSCUSION GROUPS TERMS OF USE
6.  Post or transmit any information, software, or other material
       which violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including
       material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or
       which is protected by copyright, trademark, or other proprietary
       right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first
       obtaining permission from the owner or right holder.
....'

Hence my asking if anyone else was working on it  and my query reagrding
minfigs in non TLG artwork.

What I was afraid off was a clone-brand ripping off the idea. I did'nt wan't
to upset the genuine AFOL's reading LUGNET.

They may also be used by The LEGO Group.
If a member of thier design tema wishs to contatct me I can be reached by
email at ba124@city.ac.uk or through the Dept of Computing, City University,
London, UK.

This still stands.

They may not be used for the development of clone brands  in rival to
Lego(R) bricks.

This was because I don't wan't to see a quality 'erosion'

(What this is essentially a protection against rivals ripping off LEGO(R).
This unfortunatly happened in one computer software market and the
copnsequences were not pleasent. It does not prevent genuine AFOL's from
using the ideas suggested for thier own purposes. I would however like to be
acknowlged as a source, as is common pracrtice amongst academics.
This is also WHY I Asked if anoyone else was working on them. This was so
that I could incoprate their thinking (with credit ) into my own. I don't
wan't to ripoff other peoples ideas,)

If anyone speaks legal perhaps they could clarify the situation.
(I am in the UK)

See Also LUGNET Terms of Use.
This is perhaps an important issue- Can you clarify Todd?
( I am quite certain I'm wrong on a number of points!)

That said- Where is Brad?  I needed clarification about the use of minfigs
and LEGO(R) bricks in non TLG artwork. (I'd drawn some in relation to the
concept and was inteding to put them out for review, but won't  until the
situation is clearer.) Also I'll have to hold back on relasing the page I
had planned to outline the ideas in the original posting on.

I found the Fair Play policy unclear on this point.

I DO NOT want to unwittingly infringe on TLG's IPR.

Nor on other peoples Ideas.

I'll re-read the charter and terms of use before another post!

Alex

The  Information in this posting is (C) 2000 Alex Farlie
(Is this OK Todd?)

It may be used for academic & Non commerical purposes with appropriate
citation if used in a published work.
(This is common practice in academia, and it gives people additonal sources?)
It may not be used for commerical purposes without prior approval
I can be reached at ba124@city.ac.uk or
through the Dept of Computing ,City University,London,UK.

(Again Is this Ok? If not then I'll remove it- and not post for a while.)

Alex