 Off-Topic / Debate / 28068
Re: Keen Observers of Community...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:27:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre wrote:
   1. Sentences like “It makes me wonder what kind of horrors they must have suffered during childhood that made them into such damaged adults” generally does not “hurt others”,
This statement was not intended to hurt others,
If it is not the obvious, then the intention must be something myterious that we mere mortals cannot comprehend...hmmm...still don’t know...

   but I can see how it would. I sincerely apologize to anyone who felt hurt by this statement.
Oh, no, it’s not necessary. My hide is rather thick (especially when compared to yours, obviously)

If it didn’t bother you, then I am not really sure why we are having this discussion. Now I’m going to sound like O.J. Simpson, but if I wanted to be hurtful to the people on JLUG, I think I would’ve had to do a lot better than that.

   Furthermore, (and I mean this in the most constructive way possible) if you feel that this statement was directed at you, you might want to seek professional counseling and/or a stronger prescription.
Directed at JLUG members except myself? Wow, we should be friends or something..:-) And thank you for these constructive outbursts of you. Now we have five I guess.:

1. I am surprised that anyone intelligent enough to operate a computer would find what goes on over there even remotely entertaining.

2. It makes me wonder what kind of horrors they must have suffered during childhood that made them into such damaged adults.

3. It’s not even interesting to watch them degrade themselves like that. How can they even stand each other?

4. I had the same kind of reaction that I have whenever I see somebody proudly making a complete @$$ of themself in public.

5. You might want to seek professional counseling and/or a stronger prescription.

Yeah, well I’m sure that if they ever publish a “Worst of LUGNET” CD, they’ll have to pay me royalties.

   2. Reading all through a seperate forum in depth (which you don’t like, but not complaining) and post your opinions about its members (who are mostly members of this place, too) in here (that you appearently like as most of us do) is not “purposely going out of your way to hurt others”,
When I was last active in online LEGO forums, JLUG either did not yet exist, or was not on my radar. I visited that site (and others) to see what it was all about. Perhaps it would have been more polite of me to have kept my final conclusion to myself, but I did not go there with any intent beyond “kicking the tires” to see if it might be a forum I would enjoy reading on a regular basis.
So you were in need of reading ALL of it, even the supplementary material like CTOP page and such, just to understand if you will like it or not? C’mooooon...It was interesting and a fun experience, admit it..:-)

Honestly? I might have spent an hour reading JLUG looking for anything that I would find of value. I didn’t read ALL of it, but I did force myself to read all 11 pages of the infamous Robotic Cat thread, since that is often held up as an example of the best of JLUG. I can enjoy a good laugh as much as the next guy, but I thought that went a bit too far. For me, reading JLUG was a very uncomfortable experience. YMMV.

   3. We are such lowlifes that we already deserved what you say about us since we don’t know how to behave, not in Lugnet, but in our non-Lugnet daily life which you have somehow a need for being concerned, so there is no need for any remorse and we should ITAMO.
I don’t know how you managed to contort anything I have said into this particular string of words.
Really?.. Let me eloborate, or actually, let me let you eloborate:

1. It makes me wonder what kind of horrors they must have suffered during childhood that made them into such damaged adults.

3. It’s not even interesting to watch them degrade themselves like that. How can they even stand each other?

Hmm... When I connect these dots, it looks like a picture of a smiley face. What color crayon are you using?

   However, your relentless obsession with certain individuals is completely at odds with the “ITAMO” dismissal of others. And here I thought you guys believed JD was trite!
Sorry, but you lost me here... I’m a E2L’er, I really cannot understand...

I guess we’re both lost, then.

   4. All these are actually just for fun, since you think that off-topic.debate is a bit fruitless for a while and needs some refreshing,
I did not make this post lightly, nor do I enjoy this kind of confrontation.
Really?.. I thought the fun I’m getting was mutual..:-) And I know you guys cannot make anything related to Lego lightly, it is such a serious business at the end..:-)

I don’t mind a little good-natured verbal sparring, and to that extent this conversation has been fun. But where we’ve crossed the “good-natured” line (from both sides) I don’t enjoy this, no.

“This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let’s not argue and bicker about who killed who...”

   5. This poll is flawed,
You said it, not me.
You have choosen wisely..:-D

   6. Your name is Chris,
I know the name “Chris” is a bit unusual around here, but it is at least as plausible a pseudonym as “Selçuk.” In actuality, I am a robotic cat who was endowed with artificial intelligence by my creator. As we speak, I am sending forth an army of nano-cat-bots to claw your furniture and defecate in your LEGO bins. Bow before me and purr, o lowly one!
Wow, you have the potential man... Why don’t you come and join us?..:-) (just in case, all my lego bins are safely closed).

Ah, well now you’re gonna make me blush.

Sadly, there’s a bit too much history between me and some of the more prominent folks over on JLUG. I can’t imagine why. ;-) Really, I would like nothing more than to be able to bury the hatchet with the people who’ve been on the receiving end of my rants here in the past. But I’ve already made my apologies and I’m not holding my breath waiting for any kind of forgiveness.

I’ve read other online forums where the venom flowed so freely, and (as evidenced by this thread) it just isn’t healthy for me. And somehow over the past eight years I’ve never found the LUGNET TOS to be so restrictive as to prevent me from expressing myself. So I guess you’ll know where to find me if you want to take it down a notch and keep chatting.

In the future, I’ll try to restrict my off-topic posts to .fun.