 Off-Topic / Debate / 28051
Re: Keen Observers of Community...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 05:30:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   I will not go into lengths defending the site here...

Although you’ve left me with quite a bit of snipping to do anyway.

   Frankly, in my opinion, Lugnet is not the place for lengthy and repetitive JLUG discussions.

And if this were JLUGNET, then I might be compelled to agree.

From my perspective, this particular discussion is entirely relevant here on LUGNET, since it is based on my attempts to understand why this forum seems to have gone dry. I am trying to figure out where everybody went, and one thing I’ve noticed is that the openly malicious behavior of some of your more active membership seems to have driven a lot of people away from here, and away from the hobby in general.

   All joking aside, and for the record I will defend my own honour (however briefly)...

I do find some of it (notice I did not say all of it) entertaining, and in that line of thought, I also only find parts of Lugnet (or insert other forum or site here) entertaining as well.

I do think that my involvement and support in other areas, (say for example here, or my local groups) should provide the concrete fact that I am not personally malicious nor do I have an evil agenda with in this hobby.

While you may feel my intelligence is in question, I can assure you, I am quite secure in my abilities to conduct myself in an intelligent manner when I deem it’s necessary, expected, or it adds value. Regardless of my poor grasp of spelling/grammar some days, I am also secure in my abilities to be articulate and I am educated to a degree that not only has provided me a life I want, afforded me the luxury of this indulgent hobby, but also accredited respect in my chosen fields of expertise. Does any of this matter? Not in the least, as far as I am concerned, which is why I don’t feel the need to prove it over and over to those that do not see value in the other efforts I have made or successes I have had.

NTNMA, right?

   I would love to ask you to judge me by ~my~ actions and words, not by the actions or words by those that use my club for their own interests or agendas, but I don’t seek anyone’s respect. I am the one that has to face myself in the mirror.

You will have to forgive me for saying this, but since you created a forum that encourages “smack”, and the result is that your members run like a pack of rabid dogs, smacking (on many forums) at everyone in this hobby, then I don’t completely “buy” your wild-eyed innocence. It is one thing to avoid censureship. It is completely another thing to incite a riot and hand out pitchforks.

   I do respectfully ask you to consider... Would anyone here like to be judged by the whole membership here? I respect and love Lugnet but I wouldn’t, because there are some posts here that are morally questionable, cruel, petty, immature and mean spirited. Let us not forget those all came to Lugnet with a pretty tight TOS and high expectations.

And quite frankly, when I’ve seen similar behavior occur here on LUGNET, I’ve reacted pretty much the same way. The differences being that on LUGNET, those mean-spirited posts were generally isolated to particular newsgroups where they were less likely to be seen by a lot of people, and were usually kept in check by the moral outrage of the membership at large. By contrast, I have yet to see a thread on your forum which isn’t dominated by mean-spirited posts, and your community as a whole (oh, they’re going to be tickled pink to be called a “community”) seems to reinforce and relish such behavior.

As I have stated elsewhere in this thread, I wasn’t (originally) judging either JLUG or you personally, and it doesn’t seem to me that Rene was, either. But I do believe that I have come to “completely understand” what JLUG is all about, even though I will never “grok” it, as that would imply assimilation.