 Off-Topic / Debate / 27660
Re: The Brick Testament's entirely unnacceptable intellectual dishonesty
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 19:24:07 GMT

Hi, Steve.

I’ve moved this over to off-topic.debate since that seemed more appropriate.

In lugnet.build.ancient, Stephen Bishop wrote:
   In this latest addition, you have portrayed Christ in a very unsympathetic and bad light by only including a part of the entire story. This I find to be intellectually dishonest and entirely unacceptable.

I am presenting the story of how Jesus insulted a Canaanite woman. I grant that this can also be seen as part of a larger story about how Jesus exorcised the demon from the daughter of the same Canaanite woman, just as that exorcism can be seen as a part of the larger story of Jesus’s miracles, which is in turn a part of the story of Jesus’s life, which is in turn part of the Bible story as a whole.[1]

By this point in the Gospels, Jesus has already exorcised many demons (and, of course, also explained that when a demon is exorcised from a person, it goes out and gets a whole team of even worse demons to re-possesses the same person, leaving them worse off than they were to begin with).

Since Jesus’s demon exorcisms have already been covered in The Brick Testament, what stood out to me as new and noteworthy about Jesus’s trip to the region of Tyre and Sidon is not that he merely performs another exorcism, but that when a Canaanite woman begs him to help her daughter, Jesus first coldly ignores her, and then makes a racist insult while refusing to offer help. That’s the novel part of this story to me because it reveals something new about Jesus’s motivations and character. We already know he can exorcise demons at will, but it is not until this story that we learn of Jesus’s general policy of not providing help to non-Jews[2], and his thinking of Canaanites as subhuman. (Though considering what his father had to say about them, I suppose that’s not too surprising.)

I certainly do not deny that the text goes on to have Jesus finally break that policy and deign to exorcise the Canaanite woman’s daughter after she continues to beg Jesus for help even after being racially insulted and refused help. But to have the illustrated story end with Jesus’s relenting to perform the exorcism would shift the focus and make it seem more like just another exorcism story and thereby diminish what is new and interesting about it.

-Brendan

[1] Any time someone presents only part of the Bible, they will have their reasons for selecting only certain parts of it and not others, and for presenting that selected material in a particular fashion. This holds true for priests, preachers, theologians, and lay religious believers as much as it does for anyone else, myself included. I would argue that I am much less selective than the vast majority of others about which Bible content I choose to present. My style of presentation is also notably different than most others. All too common is for a small selection of Bible content to be presented amidst a large amount of exposition and interpretation. I, on the other hand, have aimed to present a very large amount of Bible content with an extreme minimum of exposition or interpretation (limiting myself direct quotes of scripture and the LEGO illustrations).

It is my estimation that the vast majority of people presenting Bible content are moved by their own biases to be extremely selective, only presenting about 5% of all Bible content. Their audience is left to assume that this 5% of the Bible’s content is truly representative of the Bible as a whole. When I actually read the Bible for myself, it occurred to me time and time again that the vast bulk of the Bible is not at all represented by the 5% of it that usually gets presented. In fact, that 5% is often in stark contrast to other 95%. It occurred to me that people do not really know the Bible if all they are ever presented with is that selected 5% of it, so I thought it would be a worthwhile project to make my own presentation of the Bible that focuses on “the other 95%”. The Bible’s “silent majority”, if you will.

So, yes, I have my biases, and I don’t pretend not to. There will probably always be that missing 5% of biblical content from The Brick Testament, just as there will continue to be a missing 95% from almost all other presentations of Bible content. People tend to notice the missing 5% more in The Brick Testament, because that 5% is the famous part of The Bible. They don’t tend to notice the missing 95% of Bible content from other Bible presentations because most people aren’t familiar with it.

The only way for someone to get a full knowledge of the entire content of the Bible is to read the entire thing oneself. Although gruelling at times, I do heartily recommend that option for anyone who thinks the Bible is an important book.

[2] This policy is also seen in the story in Mark 7 where Jesus racially insults a Greek Syro-Phoenician woman, and is strongly suggested in Matthew 10 when Jesus sends out his disciples to heal the sick and raise the dead in “all the towns of Israel”, and specifically tells them not to go to any of the non-Jewish towns.