 Marketplace / Theory / 2754
Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:45:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.theory, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.market.theory, David Gregory wrote:
   I haven’t read any of the Harry Potter books, but through popular culture I know all about the storylines. I can see why making the Harry Potter sets was a good idea for LEGO.

Everyone knows about Star Wars. Millions of fans worldwide but non-LEGO Star Wars toys, so it was a great move for LEGO to produce the Star Wars sets.

I don’t read DC Comics, but I know all about Spiderman and Batman. They’ve both been around so long, that they’re common super heroes.

I don’t watch Nickelodian, but I see Dora the Explorer and Spongebob everywhere, and I know about the nontitle characters in their shows.

Until I heard about the new LEGO sets due out this summer, I had never heard of Avatar the Last Airbender. I’ve never seen a commercial, book, show, comic, movie preview or toy for this thing. Does anyone have any idea why LEGO thinks this will be a successful venture? It appears to be a really random choice.

As I’ve heard from my colleagues, this is a fairly new phenomenon, but is just that. Apparently this show is one of the highest rated cartoons around. I too hadn’t heard of it, but of course, I don’t follow such things...Saturday morning cartoons come a bit too early now :)

The show is amazing. Anyone who hasn’t seen it, oughta. I recommend netflixing the DVDs as they are available. Unlike Galidor, Avatar is the real deal and totally worth it to watch and enjoy. It is about as good as the old-school Animated Batman episodes from the mid-1990s (which were arguable the best serious-cartoons ever made). The kung-fu in the show is really cool - each “bending” has its own kung-fu style, and they are well animated. As an extra bonus, George Takai lends his voice to some of the characters, and it also features the guy who voices Aku from Samurai Jack.

I’d seriously recommend using TLG’s latest license as an excuse to get to know more about this show.

-Lenny